Here's some good news. The Freeman Homes development planned for St Margarets Drive has been rejected by the Planning Inspector. His conclusions are shown below and you can read the full report below that.
Great news! Well done to everyone who helped with and supported, either in person or mentally, the appeal! There's more to come but this is a great boost to our efforts and will save Alderton from some significant harm.
Summary of Inspectors conclusions
The planning balance and conclusion
51. I have found that in the absence of a five year supply of deliverable housing land, the Framework gives support for the scheme to which I attach significant weight. However, against this must be balanced the harm that the development would cause.
52. I have found harm in terms of the effects of the proposed development on the character and appearance of the area as it would lead to the extension of the built-up part of the settlement into the adjoining countryside and affect the setting of the AONB. This would conflict with the aims of Policy LND2 of the Local Plan and the Framework. This is an adverse impact to which I attach considerable weight.
53. I also found that that the proposed development would have a disproportionate effect on the village in terms of the cumulative impact of development and also on the social wellbeing of the community. I attach significant weight to the harm that would arise.
54. The totality of the harm I have identified is not clearly outweighed by the social or economic benefits of the development, including the supply of new housing, both market and affordable.
55. In the context of the Framework taken as a whole, the adverse impacts of the proposed development significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits of the scheme. Accordingly, the proposal would not represent sustainable development for which a presumption in favour should apply.
56. For the reasons given above and having had regard to all matters that have been raised, including all the decisions elsewhere referred to by the parties, I conclude that the appeal should be dismissed.
Download the appeal decision
You can download the full Appeal Decision document by clicking below: